NLSA Molson Challenge Cup

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mount Pearl shocks Holy Cross


Mount Pearl Goalscorers :L-R : Mark Reddy - Kevin Oram - Justin Pickford

Holy Cross Goalscorer: Steven DeLong (2) 

Mount Pearl shocks Holy Cross
To date, Holy Cross have been the team of the 2015 NLSA Molson Challenge Cup league. Although they were in 2nd place, they were undefeated after twelve matches and had easily beaten the 1st place St. Lawrence Laurentians in their one and only match-up of the season.
On Wednesday evening things got off rather well for Holy Cross. Steve Delong, who has been on a tear of his own in the past few weeks scoring scored six goals, scored the opening goal at the 3 minute mark and he dented the twine for Holy Cross again three minutes later. This game looked like it was going to be a blow-out for Holy Cross. Mount Pearl just didn't appear to be in the contest. However at the 15 minute mark Mount Pearl got a break and were awarded a penalty shot because of a Holy Cross foul deep inside the 18 yard  zone. Veteran Mark Reddy scored on the charity kick and this was just the break Mount Pearl needed. After the goal Mount Pearl slowly fought their way back into the contest and with their aggressive play, they eventually turned the momentum to their advantage. At the 37 minute mark Kevin Oram, who is playing some of the best soccer of his career, beat Holy Cross goalkeeper Thomas Pieroway low to the right hand corner putting Holy Cross in a little more disarray. The score was now tied at 2-2 and these two goals that were scored on Holy Cross were the only goals that Holy Cross had allowed for the month of July.
The second half  brought about a lot of aggression and personal battles that were give and take by both clubs. Yellow cards were issued by the officials and the players were issuing  many bumps and bruises and a scattered knock-down to their opponent. However it was Mount Pearl's leading goalscorer, Justin Pickford who stopped Holy Cross's dominiance and undefeated record in 2015, when he scored on a blast at the 60 minute mark that left Pieroway again for the 3rd time in this match, retrieving the ball from the back of his net. The rest of the match was rather eventful at times , it was apparent these two teams have a genuine dislike for each other. Still there was some nice plays made but as the clock was wearing thin Holy Cross just couldn't penetrate Mount Pearl's solid defensive effort. 
Mount Pearl who now are solidly in 3rd, travel out to the West Coast of the Province and take on Vince Picket's troopers in Corner Brook.  Holy Cross will engage themselves with their long time rivals in the "Soccer Capital" as they fight it out with the St.Lawrence Laurentians for the "Bobby Breen Memorial " trophy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment